MSB and the Swedish Red Cross (SRC) are looking for a Project Coordinator for a Disaster Risk Management project in Sudan.
This is a Disaster risk management capacity development project of 5 years. Year 1 serves as a development phase during which a number of activities will be carried out, creating a platform and roadmap for year 2-5 of the project. The job description focuses primarily on year 1. The plan for year 2-5 will be developed during year 1, based on the findings and results from the development phase.
MSB will be the budget holder and responsible for the 1st year of the project vis-à-vis the donor, the Swedish Red Cross (SRC) will be the main point of contact for the the Sudanese Red Crescent Society (SRCS) regarding the implementation of the project. From year 2 and onwards, SRC will also hold an overall project lead role and be main responsible towards the donor. The Project Coordinator will have a direct reporting line to the MSB Project Manager in Sweden and to the SRC Country Representative in Sudan.
The main task of the Project Coordinator will be to support the SRCS in their efforts to carry out implementation of the project activities, which will include planning, following-up, monitoring and reporting. The Project Coordinator will also play an important role in having a strategic view on the direction of the project as well as ensuring that the cross-cutting issues (e.g. gender, environment) are mainstreamed appropriately – in close dialogue with project partners. It is foreseen that the Project Coordinator will dedicate a significant amount of time to ensure the project is well coordinated with other Red Cross partners present in Sudan and with external key actors.
The Project Coordinator will have a key role in the project, where giving technical support to the SRCS will be the main responsibility. The main tasks will be, but are not limited to, the following:
• Develop a project plan in collaboration with the SRCS in accordance with the documents already developed
• Develop a project proposal for year 2-5 of the project
• Ensure that the cross-cutting issues, such as ethnicity, gender, disability, etc., are taken into consideration throughout the project
• Ensure coordination and information-sharing with Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement partners in Sudan and with key external actors
• Ensure that project implementation partners are updated on developments within his/her project responsibilities
• Oversee the implementation of activities in compliance with the agreed activity plan
• Support the SRCS in day-to-day project management including developing a baseline analysis and monitoring and evaluation tools
• Conduct budget monitoring, cost control activities and reporting on a regular basis
• Inform and coordinate communication with the Steering group and with the Project management group.
• Planning and preparation of field missions together with SRCS
• Carry out a continuous dialogue with key functions in the target National Society regarding their perception of the project progress, so as to be able to pick up on any indications of lacking of ownership, off-target activity implementation etc.
• Address critical issues in project implementation to the Project Management team in a timely manner, through the project reporting format or other communications
• Develop a project report of year one of the project
A minimum of 5 years’ experience within the field of Disaster Management, Humanitarian Assistance, Project Management or similar fields of work is required, as well as experience from working in a humanitarian or development context. Experience in coordination or management of humanitarian/development projects is required, as well as an understanding of the concept of capacity development.
Experience in designing methodologies and guidelines for DRM is preferred, as well as experience in development programming and capacity development. Experience from the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement is beneficial. Experience in gender and diversity aspects of organizational development and programming is preferred.
Advanced University degree in one of the following fields: Disaster Management, Emergency Response, Humanitarian Assistance, Social Sciences, Public Administration, International Law, International Relations or other related disciplines, preferably a combination of management, administration, and the relevant technical field. A relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of a formal university degree.
Fluent English is essential, both spoken and written. Knowledge of Arabic is specifically an asset.
Candidates must be physically capable and medically fit to work and travel and will be required to undergo a pre-employment medical examination by a licensed physician before being contracted. Driving license is required.
MSB and SRC are looking for a candidate with a strong commitment towards humanitarian relief and development programming. It is of utmost priority that the candidate understand, respect and act in the spirit of the mandate and core values of MSB and SRC. The work will require diplomacy, tact, negotiation and coordination skills. The candidate must possess a high level of professional and personal maturity together with an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, managers and external partners, such as the UN, NGOs, local governments and affected populations. The candidate must be able to interact with sensitivity and display respect for diversity and gender in multi-cultural environments. A capacity for working under pressure is essential, as the work tasks will be challenging and under demanding conditions. The candidate is expected to have excellent strategic and communicative skills, show initiative and take both a hands-on and an analytical approach to tasks and problems. The ability to develop and deliver trainings on DRR/DRM is beneficial. Great emphasis is placed on personal suitability.
- Minimum experience
- Added date
- Apply date