Roving Food Security Programme Manager
General Description of the Program
GOAL has been delivering both humanitarian and development programmes in South Sudan since 1985. Currently GOAL South Sudan is operating in five counties across South Sudan in Warrap and Upper Nile State and also has operations in the Abyei Administrative Area. Currently, GOAL South Sudan is implementing projects in four main programming areas: primary health care (curative and community); therapeutic and supplementary nutrition; water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH); and, food security and livelihoods.
General Description of the Role
The primary role of the Roving Food Security Programme Manager will be to support the implementation of current food security programme targeted at improving dietary diversity in households through year-round vegetable gardening and animal traction (ox and donkey plough use). The current programme is heavily based on agricultural training on topics including: improved agronomic practices (including the uptake of animal traction technologies), natural pest management, proper seed storage and improved harvesting methods as well as delivery cooking demonstrations in partnership with the nutrition team to ensure new crop varieties are improving the nutritional outcomes of families.
The Roving Food Security Manager will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the delivery of the Food Security Programme in the Abyei Administrative Area and Twic County, Warrap State, including designing a programme implementation plan, monitoring budgets, managing Food Security Officers and Programme Assistants, and ensuring the overall success of the programme in a hands-on manner. The Roving Food Security Manger will also be responsible for community and staff training, monitoring and reporting in a timely manner, and building and maintaining relationships with other NGOs in the area in addition to local government bodies. Overall, the Roving Food Security Manager will ensure the programme is implemented on time, to a high quality, and is accountable to donor guidelines in both programme locations. The Roving Food Security Manager will also be responsible for managing the roll-out of new programmes, as required. Note that this position will be based in Agok, Abyei Administrative Area, with frequent travel to Twic County, Warrap State. This post is considered to be a hands-on management position, with office time limited to monitoring reports and planning (i.e., 75-80% community-based).
Programme Implementation Planning:
• Review programme funding proposal and budget and prepare an annual programme implementation plan, broken down by month, with support from the Area Coordinator and the Programmes Coordinator;
• Review budgets monthly with relevant Area Coordinators;
• Oversee all field operations relating to the Food Security programme;
• Prepare order requests for inputs necessary to programme implementation, with support from the field logistics manager, the Area Coordinator and the FSL Coordinator;
• Conduct capacity needs assessments of the targeted beneficiaries with Agricultural Extension Workers;
• Develop a targeted training agenda aimed at addressing identified gaps;
• Work with Programme Officers and Programme Assistants to set work plan objectives in accordance with the annual implementation plan;
• Develop, review and adjust the technical components proposed in the intervention (including types of crops, techniques, introduction of adapted technologies, etc.).
• Travel between two field sites to provide roving management of all food security activities;
• Line manage Programme Officers and Assistants and ensure diligent monitoring of beneficiaries;
• Lead community-based trainings, with a focus on capacity building junior programme staff (Programme Officer and Programme Assistants) so they can undertake trainings independently;
• Ensure training is reinforced through individual beneficiary consultation sessions and through the provision of targeted advice in monitoring visits;
• Ensure community ownership of the project through active and effective participation, including actioning beneficiary feedback, throughout the project implementation process;
• Coordinate closely with other sectors, particularly nutrition, to ensure cross-sector integration of activities;
• Prepare monthly budget requests for the coming month planned project activities;
• Submit detailed monthly project implementation plans that respond to the annual programme plan, noting delays and other challenges;
• Prepare weekly movement plans that are in-line with programme objectives and demonstrate efficiency in programme delivery;
• Manage and ensure accountable documentation and reporting of receipt, storage, and distribution of all project inputs (vegetable seeds, rakes, etc.);
• Ensure that the MoAF is fully involved in programme implementation and monitoring activities;
• Perform any other responsibilities as necessary regarding the implementation of the food security programme as required by GOAL South Sudan management.
Ensure detailed and timely monitoring and reporting:
• Produce weekly and monthly reports for submission to the FSL Coordinator and Area Coordinators;
• Ensure data is collected and entered into the appropriate database on a monthly basis, with support from other programme staff.
• Ensure beneficiary baseline information collected upon registration is collected and entered into the appropriate database in a timely manner;
• Ensure regular monitoring visits are conducted by team members;
• Participate in ‘spot-check’ monitoring visits and facilitate the same for MEAL team members;
• Actively contribute in the preparation of quarterly and final donor reports, as required;
• Provide training on monitoring tools in partnership with MEAL and support Programme Officer and Programme Assistants in developing monitoring skills; and,
• Document success stories from the project, with support from the Programme Support Officer.
• Work at all times in a manner that promotes teamwork within GOAL and assists in the achievement of GOAL’s overall programme aims.
• Represent GOAL South Sudan’s Food Security programme in all relevant county/state level forums and programmatic aspects that involve other stakeholders in the state/county;
• Perform any other relevant duties as required by the FSL Coordinator.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Degree/Diploma in Agricultural Science;
• Additional professional technical skills or training in Agriculture are desirable;
• 5-10 years relevant experience in implementing rural agricultural development projects, ideally with a focus on year-round vegetable cultivation;
• Knowledge of animal traction technology (donkey and ox ploughs) and experience implementing related programming;
• Excellent ability to monitor on-the-ground activities and integrate beneficiary feedback into programming;
• Demonstrated ability to facilitate training sessions;
• Computer literacy, especially in MS Word and Excel;
• Demonstrated ability to compile high quality written reports;
• Demonstrated ability to work function in a multi-sector team and collaborate for improved programming (e.g., cooperation with the nutrition team)
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate across organizations and build relationships with external stakeholders;
• Able to represent GOAL South Sudan to government officials, and other stakeholders in a professional manner;
• Excellent community relations skills;
• Excellent spoken Arabic, Dinka, and English language skills;
• Excellent written English language skills; and,
• Willingness to travel and live in basic living conditions, including satellite compounds without access to the internet, as required.
Interested candidates who meet the above mentioned conditions should submit their application letter and CV listing three references and a phone number or other contact details to: The HR Manager, GOAL South Sudan Munuki
Or Email. firstname.lastname@example.org
Do not submit originals papers as they are non-returnable.
This position is for National Candidates ONLY.
Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Minimum experience
- Added date
- Apply date